Here's an exciting, one-of-a-kind collection of "quickie" activities to help you stimulate the development of thinking skills in children of varying abilities and review basic skills at all elementary grade levels!
From the Back Cover
Here's an exciting, one-of-a-kind collection of "quickie" activities to help you stimulate the devleopment of thinking skills in children of varying abilities and review basic skills at all elementary grade levels!
Included are over 150 ready-to-go "total group," "partner," and "individual" activities, organized for easy use into four major subject and skill areas:
- THINKING & REASONING--activities to build skills in classification, logic (putting the pieces together), quick decision making, problem solving, developing strategy, and creative thinking
- MATH--activities to reinforce concepts and skills in numeration, computation, place value, estimation, fractions, geometry, relationship and patterns, and problem solving
- LANGUAGE & WRITING--activities to improve skills with phonics, compound words, spelling, descriptive words, synonyms and antonyms, vocabulary, prefixes, suffixes, roots, and parts of speech
- LISTENING & REMEMBERING--activities to develop skills in critical listening, following oral directions, and memory
Each of these "quickie" thinking skills activities is complete and ready for immediate use, including skill reviewed, grade level, group size, step-by-step directions, activity extenders, and answers or possible solutions, all in easy-to-read boldface type. Moreover, all are oral activities or require only pencil and paper, or chalkboard and chalk.
And, to help you select appropriate activities at a moment's notice, there's also a special Activity/Skills Index that lists all activities by subject matter, group size, and grade level.
Mind Joggers is a book you will turn to every day for stimulating activities that make kids think.
About the Author
Susan S. Petreshene, M.A. (California State University, Sonoma), has been an elementary classroom teacher for more than 15 yars in the public schools of Concord and Novato, California. She is the author of many articles in professional journals such as Instructor and Social Studies Review, and has also written two practical books for teachers, The Complete Guide to Learning Centers (Pendragon House, Inc., 1978) and Teaching Reading Skills: Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic Activities (Zaner-Bloser, 1981), co-authored with Walter B. Barbe, Ph.D.
Mrs. Petreshene is an active speaker at professional conferences and workshops, and frequently serves as a school district consultant in the areas of individualized instruction and classroom management. She has also taught at various U.S. colleges and universities.
- Paperback: 224 pages
- Publisher: Jossey-Bass; 1 edition (October 29, 1985)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0876285833
- ISBN-13: 978-0876285831
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.6 x 11.1 inches